Friday, August 16, 2013

eat [more] vegetables & [less] meat




Eat your vegetables!! Ok, now I sound like mom, but maybe, just maybe... mom is right! [btw... she always is]

After watching a few Netflix documentaries about vegetables and the benefits of eating more vegetables over meat, I decided to try it out and eat less meat and, just like eliminating gluten, I actually feel better.  

Maybe you are like me and actually feel heavier inside after you eat meat.  Replacing many of my dinners with vegetables these past few weeks has actually let me eat more, get fuller quicker, and not feel the heaviness that I do after a meal with meat.

Here are some facts:

HEALTH:
  • Those who have a more plant based diet actually weigh less than those who consume meat
  • They also consume less calories, less fat, and have a lower risk of heart disease than those who don't
  • Red meat & processed meats are high in saturated fat - which increases your LDL (high cholesterol) & increases the risk of coronary heart disease
  • Eating meat also increases your risk for cancer [http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/vegetarian-benefits?page=1]
BUT I STILL NEED PROTEIN!
  • Other non-meat products are very rich in protein, like:
    • Nuts
    • Seeds
    • Eggs
    • Beans
    • Peas
The documentaries I watched & recommend to you:

  • Vegucated [about going vegan]

  • Forks Over Knives [about the benefits of eating a plant based diet based on research]


Try adding more vegetables to your diet - and hey, they don't contain gluten!  Let me know the results :)

Chris & I have been just cutting up vegetables & potatoes and adding olive oil, salt, and pepper and sautéing them over the stove and don't miss adding any meat ;)

enjoy! 

love, mel







No comments: