Monday, October 14, 2013

Delicious Gluten-Free Creamy Maple Polenta

Breakfast.  The most important meal of the day!  Growing up my grandma would make my brother and me breakfast - either cereal, eggs, waffles, pancakes, oatmeal, or bagels before going off to school.  Today, I don't have the time to sit down and eat or even make something.  So, I naturally set my Keurig every morning and make my coffee and run off to work with a Larabar.  [Which, let's be honest, gluten-free breakfast items are not cheap.]  Only on weekends do I actually "make" breakfast.  It wasn't until a few weekends ago when I had Polenta for breakfast, that I actually thought: "How wonderful would it be to actually have a warm breakfast!"  Not only does it taste amazing but it's much less expensive to make than to keep eating $2 breakfast bars everyday.  I knew I had to have this warm, creamy, gluten-free dish again and had to figure out how to re-create it in the most natural way possible [without all of the fillers and additives that can be in food]...

So after much research, here is my take on a wonderful, creamy, maple, warm polenta breakfast:

  • Ingredients:
    • 3 cups organic non-fat (or regular) milk
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 cup organic corn meal [I like mine on the finer side vs. course - I used Hodgson Mill Organic]
    • 1/4 stick salted butter
    • few dashes of Cinnamon
    • 1 spoonful sugar (if you prefer)
    • About 4 TBSP Organic 100% Maple Syrup
    • Dried or fresh fruit/nuts (if you prefer)
    • TIP: Use a "larger than medium" glass or metal pot to cook in - a 2.5 L Vision Clear Sauce Pan
Below are some of the ingredients I used:



OK guys this is seriously yummy and you can alter it to your taste if you like more or less sweet or creamy.

  • What to do:
    • Bring the 3 cups milk and 1 tsp salt to a simmer - medium heat
    • While you have the milk on, combine the corn meal and the water then slowly add it to the milk
    • Keep whisking, turn up the heat a little more and whisk until the mixture comes to a boil (just a few min.)
    • Add in the butter
    • Add in the maple syrup to taste (you can use more or less, add then taste, add then taste)
    • Put in a few dashes of cinnamon
    • Top it off with a spoonful of sugar if you'd like
    • Let it cool for a min and then dish out to you and your family!
    • Feel free to top off with nuts or fruit (dried or fresh)
This makes a pretty large helping of Polenta - it filled half of my sauce pan - so it makes about 1.75 L or about 7 cups worth.

Enjoy!

Let me know how you like it!

With love, 
Mel

No comments: