Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Quinoa Taco Dish

Happy Wednesday!!

It's the day before Valentine's Day, so hopefully you all can spend time with someone special tomorrow or this weekend and let others know how much they mean to you! :) Sometimes those 3 little words can mean so much.

Not only do we have to care about others but we need to care about ourselves.  That means eating right.  Tonight I experimented with quinoa!  Quinoa is a gluten-free food and is considered a grain/seed.  It is cooked as if you'd cook rice, about 3/4 cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa, for 15 min.  It is very healthy for you, providing 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.  I love making quinoa and incorporating it into dishes, so I will have more to share later on as well.

Tonight I was hungry for tacos but wanted to involve quinoa in the process.  Here is what I came up with, a gluten-free taco dish:


Here's what I used:
  • 1 pound organic turkey breast
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup quinoa [I like to use Alter Eco or Arrowhead Mills USDA Organic quinoa]
  • 1 packet Ortega taco seasoning [from what I've read in ingredients is GF]
  • 2 - 3/4 cup water [one for quinoa one for taco seasoning]
  • Pinch of Sharp Cheddar Cheese 
  • Salsa [most is GF]
  • Xochitl Chips - which are GF!

Here's what I did:
  • In a medium sauce pan, I added a few drops of olive oil and started browning the meat
  • While it was browning, I graded a medium onion and added it to the meat
  • While stirring the meat, I put 3/4 cup water into a small sauce pan and brought it to a boil
  • Next, I cleaned the 1/2 cup quinoa [running it under cold water and soaking it until the water comes clear/almost clear]
  • I added the quinoa to the boiling water and turned the heat to a simmer and let it cook for exactly 15 minutes
  • Once the meat was browned, I added the taco seasoning with 3/4 cup water, and let that simmer while the quinoa was cooking
  • Once the quinoa was done, I added it to the meat mixture
  • I plated everything, added the cheddar cheese & chips and salsa to complete my meal!
  • You can add veggies to the side if you wish instead!
I have added quinoa to other meat mixtures but this was pleasant yummy surprise.  Enjoy!

-mel

No comments: