Monday, January 21, 2013

pasta pasta pasta!

I LOVE pasta. In fact, it's one of my favorite meals of all time. I remember telling people I wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't ever have pasta. I had a love|hurt relationship with it... every time I'd indulge in my favorite penne vodka, I'd soon feel my stomach hurt, yet it was so delicious to me.

I'm so glad I'll never have to experience that pain again & can actually enjoy my favorite meal!
To all my pasta lovers - I recently found an AMAZING alternative to eating "pasta"... spaghetti squash!

It is healthy for you, low in calories, and is actually filling. Here's some nutrition facts:
Nutrition Value According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
"1 cup of cooked spaghetti squash provides 42 calories, 0.4 gram of fat, 1 g of protein, 10 g of carbohydrate (4 g as sugar) and 2.2 g of fiber."

I got Chris on board and we decided to make a healthier pasta dish for our Sunday night dinner!





Here's what you'll need:

1. 2-4 pound spaghetti squash
2. 2 TBSP (+) extra virgin olive oil
3. A baking pan [I used a cake pan - it worked best]
4. 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded almonds
5. Handfull of fresh celantro
6. 1-2 TBSP parsley
7. 1 tomato

8. Pinch of salt

Here's what to do...
*Cut the spaghetti squash long ways and remove the seeds. Place the squash in a baking sheet - add olive oil and salt, bake in the oven for 45 min - 1 hour
*While the squash is baking, cut up 1 small tomato, handful of fresh cilantro leaves, toast almond slices, and add freshly grated parmesan cheese, parsley, & salt to taste
*Once the squash is done baking, take it out of the oven and let cool - once it is cool, pull apart with a fork - [you'll see little spaghetti strands!]
*Add the squash, any additional olive oil to your liking, and enjoy :)

When I cook, I eye-ball everything; So, when you use measurements, add more or less - to your own tasting preferences!

I'm totally full... and satisfied :) - mel

No comments: